1.How to register a domain name?
- How to register a domain name?
- What is a Domain Name Server (DNS) and how does it work?
- What is my user account at Sify Domains?
- What is Domain Control Panel?
- How do I change my contact information or/and Name Servers?
- How do I renew/extend my domain name booking period ?
- I forgot my Sify username and password. What should I do?
- How do I access my domain control panel?
- How do I manage my domain features?
- Can I change my domain name?
- Why do I need a domain name?
- How do I terminate my account?
- How do I renew my domain name?
- What is Domain Forwarding (CNAME) and how do I forward my domain?
- How do I edit my domain forward record?
- What are DNS records?
- How do I change the name servers for my domain name?
- How do I set an A record?
- What is an MX record?
- Check availability of your domain name with either or all of the domain extensions and press Check availability
The domain name must confirm to Standard rules for domain names:
- Only characters in the range of A to Z, 0 to 9 and hyphen are allowed.
- Names cannot begin or end with a hyphen.
- The maximum length is 63 characters (exclusive of the .in, .co.in, com, .net, .org, .info, .biz portion).
- If the Domain is available, click on the radio button against Available and press Submit
- A User Login window appears for you to enter your Username and Password. In case, you are a New User, click on Sign Up !!, which will lead you to a New User Registration Form. Please complete this form and Submit
- Fill in the Domain Registration Form and Submit. Kindly ensure that you enter all the mandatory fields which are indicated by an asterisk (*) on the Form & submit
- Payment can be made either by Cash, Demand Draft, Cheque or Credit Card. After receipt of your payment, you will receive an acknowledgement for the same. You will also receive a confirmation of your Domain name having been registered.
2. What is a Domain Name Server (DNS) and how does it work?
The Domain Name System (DNS) is a distributed Internet directory service. DNS is used mostly to translate between domain names and IP addresses, and to control email delivery. Most internet services rely on DNS to work. If DNS fails or is too slow, web sites cannot be located and email delivery stalls. The DNS system consists of three components: DNS data (called resource records), servers (called name servers), and Internet protocols for fetching data from the servers
3. What is my user account at Sify Domains?
Your user account is the one which you specify yourself when you become our member. You can use the username and password to edit any information associated with your domain name(s) by logging in to the domain management panel at http://registry.sify.com. You can not only change all the contacts but the name servers too
4. What is Domain Control Panel?
The Domain Management Panel is an in-house built control panel which allows you to edit information that is associated with your domain name such as Registrant, admin, technical, billing contact information, name server information and domain services configurations.
5. How do I change my contact information or/and Name Servers?
To change your contact information, you need to first login to the Domain Control Panel, where you can view various links on the top navigation bar. Then click on link named 'Manage Domains' which will take you to a page showing all your domains booked till date. On clicking on any domain one can edit its domain's owner, administrative, technical or billing contact information as well as name servers. Once the information is changed the information of a contact associated with that domain will be updated automatically
6. How do I renew/extend my domain name booking period ?
First log into the Domain Control Panel where you can view a list of your domain names, click on the "Renew/Extend" icon to renew your domain name(s). You can select the term of your renewal(s) before confirming the same
7. I forgot my Sify username and password. What should I do?
If you have forgotten your username or password just click here and follow the instructions. You might need to give in some personal details you provided at the time of registration to recover your username and password.
8. How do I access my domain control panel?
Login to your account from the registry.sify.com home page. Once you have signed in you will be taken to you are my home page where you will have complete control over managing your domain. You can then forward, modify, add or delete your domain
9. How do I manage my domain features?
Login to your account from the registry.sify.com home page. Once you have signed in you will be taken to your my home page where you will have complete control over managing your domain. You can then forward, modify, add or delete your domain.
10. Can I change my domain name?
Once you have purchased a domain name with sify domains you cannot change it. If you wish to discontinue the domain name you purchased you should refrain from renewing it when it expires and just buy another domain
11. Why do I need a domain name?
When you choose a web address or a domain name for your business you actually put up your business online and make your business accessible to millions of customers all over the world.
Your customers use your domain name (www.yourdomain.com) to find your business online, order your products or services or contact you, which means more business. And you send and receive messages from the email business solutions package linked to your domain name.
If you just recently signed up with Sify domains for your Domain, it may still not be active across the Internet or if you are using a domain name registered elsewhere then changes to your name server settings may not yet have taken effect. After registration, a new domain takes 24 to 48 hours to get activated.
12. How do I terminate my account?
If you ever wish to terminate your account, which we are sure you wouldn't want to, all you need to do is refrain from renewing your account for that particular product or service. Your account lapses automatically.
13. How do I renew my domain name?
Login to your account from the sify domains home page.
Once you have signed in you will be taken to your my home page.
Click on Renew for the particular domain you wish to renew.
Choose the numbers of years you wish to renew it for and click on Renew again.
14. What is Domain Forwarding (CNAME) and how do I forward my domain?
Domain forwarding service is a free service at Sify domains. The domain forward feature lets you point your domain name to another home page or web site location and keep track of all your customers. This is used when you have registered a number of similar domain names but you want to have the same website for all domain names. Let's say your main site/domain name is SIFY.COM. Your strategy may also be to register the names: SIFFY.COM & SIFYONLINE.COM and have all these names go to your SIFY.COM website. This theory assumes that your MAIN domain name might not be remembered correctly so you might as well get hits for all the domain names. When using domain name forwarding, the address of the site that your domain name is forwarded to is NOT shown. For instance, if you have the domain name SIFFY.COM forwarded to SIFY.COM, the web browser will NOT show references to SIFY.COM. To forward your domain
- Login to your account from the Sify Domains home page. Once you have signed in you will be taken to your my home page .
- Click on 'manage your domain'.
- Click on 'edit' under Domain forwarding (C Name Records) .
- Click on 'Add Record' key in the aliases and the host server information and click on 'Save changes'
15. How do I edit my domain forward record?
Login to your account from the Sify Domains home page. Once you have signed in you will be taken to your my home page
Click on 'manage' your domain
Click on 'edit' under Domain forwarding (C Name Records)
Click on 'Add Record' key in the aliases and the host server information and click on Save changes)
Click on 'edit' alongside the aliases and the host server information you wish to modify
Key in the modified information and click on 'Save changes'
Your edited domain forward record will appear listed along with the details. Keep in mind that it may take up to 24 - 48 hrs for your new domain forwarding to take effect during which visitors will see the original domain forward and not the edited domain forward.
16. What are DNS records?
The DNS (Domain Name System) records control the functionality of domain names. Each registered domain name has a DNS record. The DNS record is made of sub records including MX, A, and CNAME.
You can manage the DNS records for your domain name by clicking on 'manage domain name' on the my home page or on the top navigation bar 'Manage Domains'. Click on 'edit' below the respective records to independently edit your MX, A, and CNAME records.
17. How do I change the name servers for my domain name?
Replacing Sify's Name Servers with others could render many of your services inactive. Changing your Name Servers will not automatically cancel your service. You will continue to manage your WHOIS contact information through Sify and Sify will continue to renew your annual domain registration.
If you would like to proceed with the change, you can click on 'manage domain' on the My home page for the domain name whose name server information you wish to modify.
To change Name Servers:
Click on Manage Domain -> DNS Management -> Change Name Server.
Replace the existing name server hostnames with the name server hostnames of your new domain name host on the name server update page.
Note: It may not be necessary to enter the IP addresses of the Name Servers. In most cases only the host name of the Name Servers is necessary.
Click on 'Save changes'.
While your changes will appear in your Name Servers within minutes, please be aware that it can take 24-48 hours for changes to records to be propagated to all Name Servers throughout the Internet.
18. How do I set an A record?
Sign in to your account. Once signed in you will see modules for each of your domain names. From the My home page, click on Domains Booked & click on the domain whose A records you wish to modify. Click on "Add New Record". Enter the prefix to define the host name (e.g., the prefix for "host.yourdomainname.com" is "host") into Host field. Enter a destination IP address in the Numeric IP field. Click on Save Changes. You return to the Domain Assigning page and your new A record will appear in the list of A records. While your changes will appear in your Name Servers within minutes, please be aware that it can take 24-48 hours for new records to be propagated to all Name Servers thought the Internet.
19. What is an MX record?
MX or Mail Exchanger record specifies where mail for a domain name should be delivered. The record must be an assigned domain name, which in turn points to an IP address. MX record can have more than one domain name and the order is decided by the preferences.
MX record for the domain MYSITES.COM points to MAIL.MYSITES.COM with preferences 10 (default value) and MAIL.MYWIDGETS.COM points to the IP address 188.8.131.52.
If you decide to create an MX record for your domain name zone files, the email services provided in your the plan you purchased will no longer function. All email addressed with your domain name will be handled by the server you indicate in the MX record.